This summer is heating up — literally. The highs are well into the 90’s in Austin, so it’s time to find a way to cool down. What better way than with an ice cold, invigorating beer and delicious food? To help you survive the Texas summer we’ve sourced some of the tastiest recipes that pair perfectly with our year-round beers. No matter what you’re up to this summer, from lounging by the pool to a hike at Mt. Bonnell, these great recipes will keep you satisfied and our beer will keep you refreshed.
About the Brew
Hibiscus Saison is a vibrant pink color because it is brewed with hibiscus flowers and dry hopped with Citra. It blends a hint of tartness with tropical fruit and citrus notes. The pink color inspired us to give a percentage of the proceeds from sales of Hibiscus Saison to the Breast Cancer Research Center. You can enjoy giving back to cancer survivors while drinking this great beer out of the can or a Belgian Tulip glass.
Hibiscus Saison + Hawaiian Pulled Pork Sandwiches
This recipe is so easy to make, and won’t heat up your home, because it’s made in a slow cooker. This sandwich is great for an easy summer dinner or to impress your friends and family at a barbeque. Top it with the simple Hibiscus Saison reduction. When you pair this sandwich with a Hibiscus Saison, the hibiscus and tropical fruit will bring out the sweetness and succulence of the pulled pork.
Ingredients and Shopping List
*Find Adelbert’s Hibiscus Saison at your local HEB, Central Market, Whole Foods or visit our taproom and pick up what you need.
Pulled Pork Ingredients
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 ½ lbs. pork shoulder
- ½ cup teriyaki sauce
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ soy sauce
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 3 ounces pineapple juice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 8 hamburger rolls
- 6 pack or more of Adelbert’s Hibiscus Saison
Hibiscus Saison Reduction Ingredients
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tsp ginger, chopped
- 2 tsp garlic, chopped
- ½ can of Hibiscus Saison
- 3 tsp cornstarch
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- Salt to taste
How to Make Pulled Pork
- Sprinkle pork with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- In a bowl whisk together the teriyaki, chicken broth, brown sugar, soy sauce, chili sauce, pineapple juice and set aside.
- Place chopped onion and carrots in a 5-quart slow cooker. Place the pork on top of carrots and onion and pour the pineapple juice mixture over the pork.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until the pork is easily shred with a fork.
How to Make Hibiscus Saison Reduction
- Heat oil over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Add garlic and ginger and sauté until soft, about two minutes.
- Add the Hibiscus Saison and bring to a boil before reducing heat. Simmer for 20 minutes until reduced, stirring constantly.
- Add cornstarch, pineapple juice, brown sugar and salt to taste. Combine well, stirring constantly, and continue to simmer until reduced to 1/3 the original volume.
- Serve the shredded pork on hamburger buns drizzled with Hibiscus Saison Reduction, or on the side for a dipping sauce, and a cool can of Hibiscus Saison.
Making this recipe this weekend? Tag your photos using #SavorYourSummer and tell us what you think!