The Fourth of July is right around the corner and is there any better way to celebrate than with burgers and beer? Our latest recipe and beer pairing brings these two American classics together. You’ll love the hearty and indulgent cheddar and jalapeno stuffed hamburgers with a can of Scratchin’ Hippo, literally made for burgers and tangy cheeses.
Whether you’re celebrating Independence Day at home or hanging at a big barbeque with friends and family, this ½ pound hamburger will satisfy any appetite and impress everyone with your grill skills. Read on to get the full recipe and tag us in your photos using #SavorYourSummer!
About the Brew
Scratchin’ Hippo is a classic, deep amber ale that releases a bready aroma with hints of dark fruit. The clean citrus bitterness cuts through and balances the rich roasted malt with hints of caramel, and earth tones from the hops. This amber ale got its name from a night in Kenya, when Del’s house was shaking so strongly he thought it was an earthquake. He ran outside and saw it was a hippo from nearby Lake Naivasha, scratching itself against his house.
Scratchin’ Hippo + Cheddar Beer Can Burgers
The malty, balanced amber ale pairs perfectly with barbeques, burgers, and tangy cheeses which means it will go with everything at your Fourth of July party. Make your beer work for you though and use a can of Scratchin’ Hippo to help form the bowl for the cheddar and jalapeno in these behemoth beer can burgers.
Ingredients and Shopping List
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 8 slices of bacon
- 2 cups cubed cheese
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
- 4 burger buns
- 6-pack or more of Scratchin’ Hippo*
*Find Adelbert’s Scratchin’ Hippo at your local HEB, Central Market, Whole Foods or visit our taproom and pick up what you need.
How to Make Beer Can Burgers
- Preheat grill to medium.
- In a large bowl season beef with Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder.
- Roll into ½ pound balls and place a can of Scratchin’ Hippo in the middle to shape a bowl. Press the meat up the side of the beer can, and gently twist beer can to remove and season the beef with salt and pepper.
- Wrap two slices of bacon around the edge and secure with toothpicks. Fill burger bowl with cubed cheese and jalapeno. Cover with a slice of cheddar cheese.
- Grill until burger is cooked through, about 30 minutes for a medium done burger.
- Serve on bun with desired toppings and a can of Scratchin’ Hippo.
- Tag your photos using #SavorYourSummer and tell us what you think!